I’m kinda screwed. Let’s count the ways:
1) My hypotheses suck. In my defense, I knew they sucked and I didn’t want to go with them, but my major professor made me. And now I get to look like an idiot when my committee member calls them “naive.”
2) My results suck. It’s not good when your baseline measurements are significantly different from each other.
3) My discussion sucks. That would be because no one told me how to write a dissertation discussion. And also because my hypotheses and results suck.
So yeah, I spent a week sulking over these sad facts. I finally got off my ass and started working on my revision today. And it’s not fun.
- yatta! it’s done!FINALLY! I completed my first draft of my dissertation last Thursday, just in time to go on vacation! I can't believe it took so long and all I wrote was 94 double-spaced pages. Looking back, it was really my own inertia that prevented me from finishing...the task just seemed so monumental that there was no point in starting, even when I had already finished everything but the discussion. I literally sat on my ass and watched my puppy for three weeks instead of working on it. When I finally did start writing again, all it took was a week for me to finish! Of course, it's not done until I get my committee's signatures and turn it in, which will probably require several painful revisions, but at least I'm over the first hurdle. I just hope my major professor can put his narcissism aside for a moment and not nitpick every word I've written. Not likely, but I can still dream......
- it’s so hard to say goodbye…...NOT! So I went to see all of my committee members last week to give them final copies of my dissertation and thank you gifts. I had a nice long talk with Dr. Happy Surgery Collaborator and he genuinely complimented me on my work and how much skill I must have to have been able to rewrite my dissertation so fast. He's always been nice to me, from when my experiments totally failed to going over my dissertation and helping me make sense out of the nonsense my major professor made me write. He was probably more of a mentor to me than my major professor ever was and I'll miss working with him. My other committee member was out-of-town, so that saved me plenty of awkwardness. And finally, I had to go visit my major professor. I set up a specific time and everything with him, but when I showed up, I was told that he was in a meeting. I was surprised and asked what sort of meeting this was that he hadn't told me about and learned that he was just bragging away to the poor new research associate in the lab next door. He likes to snag the impressionable ones early on to start his brainwashing. I figured that he would kick the poor soul out of his office once I showed up, but he didn't. He just kept talking to her while I stood outside waiting. After awhile, he finally paused and asked me, "You...
- whoo hoo it’s revision timeJust the thing I was waiting for. Revisions. Do I sound excited? It was hard enough getting the damn dissertation out. Now I have to revise it? I'm not actually as incredulous as I might be sounding right now because I know that my writing and my logic are not perfect and I expected that I would have to make massive revisions. I'm actually glad that the comments are pretty mild and that I don't have to rewrite the whole thing as I had feared. But that doesn't mean that the task doesn't seem daunting to me. Especially because my world has just been turned upside down by issues I would rather not discuss. Just when I was getting back on my feet, shit happens to knock me back down. In any case, one of the reasons why I'm just a tad annoyed at some of the comments I received is that a lot of them are about things that my stupid major professor told me to say or do that I disagreed with but that he said were fine. And when they got called out and I pointed out to him that it was him who suggested them to me and forced me to write these things, he tried to deny it or imply that I had misunderstood what he had told me to do. He actually criticized me on something he himself told me to do and which I hesitated to do! When other reviewers point out these...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.